Only regular members are eligible to:
- purchase membership cards
- vote in CAJ meetings and/or run for elected positions on chapter executives or the CAJ board of directors.
All other membership categories are non-voting.
The CAJ has an interest in ensuring those people who register as members meet the definitions of membership as defined under “Class A member” in section 10 of its bylaws, which may be amended from time to time. Currently, that section reads, in part:
Class A members of the corporation shall be individuals who, as determined by the board of directors of the corporation, are Canadian, or work in Canada, or work for Canadian-owned media, and:
- whose salary comes principally from, or time goes principally into, journalism, or;
- are managers of media enterprises or;
- are teachers of journalism at a recognized post-secondary program or;
- are students enrolled in a recognized post-secondary journalism program or who work in the student media on a regular basis during the academic year.